Friday, January 4, 2008

Comfort and Joy

We ended this cozy week with the three of us surrounding a delicious roasted chicken. I carried the chicken home from the downtown Market Hall after visiting the Kestner Museum. I wanted to catch the Jugenstil Art Nouveau exhibit two days before it closes. It was peaceful to be alone in the midst of so much beauty. Near the museum is a wonderful indoor market where I can find stands and little restaurants with almost whatever I need... a Hannover version of Harrods. I found a good-looking bird and handed over fourteen euros. Andreas basted and cooked potatoes and I lit the four white candles on the Advent Wreath, which has graced the center of our long wooden dining table for five weeks. The Christmas tree is still filling our rooms with tannenbaum smell. My favorite times are at our table. We had such a loving, joyful week together. December was busy and full, with Advent celebrations, St. Nikolaus' visit on December 6th, Christmas markets, a kindergarten performance and party, and mom visiting from Annapolis for three weeks. We also traveled to Stuttgart for Christmas Eve (Holy Night) and the two German Christmas days. It was a rich and meaningful month, but I loved this week the most. We just finished nine days of delicious free time together... sleeping like three bears in our large wooden and iron sleigh bed, covered by a dark chocolate fur, late warm breakfasts, acting out fairytale stories, playing with dolls, making a gingerbread house, building a lego castle, doing puzzles, taking mommy to the doctor, reading books, singing, rhyming, ice skating at the Winter Zoo... it was so easy, and so relaxed. I have not seen my joyful three-and-a-half-year-old this happy around the clock. Her sense of humor, playfulness and cleverness keeps us all laughing.

No comments: